Thursday, May 25, 2017

Goodbye for a while

Back in 1996 we moved our little family, Steph, me, and 2 kids, from Lindon, Utah to Indianapolis for my work.

While we were in Lindon, Dad lived in his motor home in our driveway as he was doing a construction job in Utah. As such, he got very close to the two kids that we had at that time. So when we moved, it was very hard on him, and us.

Soon after we arrived in Indiana we got a letter from Dad. In it he caught us up a bit, then copied an entry that he had pulled out of his Franklin. I thought I would put it here so that family can read what Dad had to say.

With Dad having just passed away, and saying goodby once again, this time for a longer duration, it is a good reminder that we will together again one day. But for now, we just miss...

The letter:

 ________________________________________________
Dear Jeff & Steph
I returned last night (1:00 AM) from Calif after working on the house and brought Greg's Alfa back to Utah. As I was cleaning up and changing the Franklin day timer, I removed February and I always check for notes & dates & phone numbers that need to be transferred. I came to a note when we last said goodbye for a while. I thought I would like to keep it.
2/19/96 Today I have been with angels and to say goodbye for a while must be a reminder of when we had to part our heavenly realm to this mortal existence. Parting with the innocence of young, bright and beautiful grandchildren breaks my heart. It is good to know that they are in the loving, caring attendance of parents who will protect and bless them with all of their love.

May their hearts remain pure, their desires for perfection (word unclear) and their lives blessed from above.

A Grandfather
With a Broken Heart.

Sorry to be so mushy. Perhaps this winter I can come for a visit in your new home.

The Best to You All,
Love Dad ---
________________________________________________

Goodbye again, for a while, Dad. Thanks for reminding us to be our best selves.

jf

No comments: